Less than 24 hours after landing in Newark and already I feel like I didn’t take enough pictures, that these pictures are of the wrong things (which at the time was not entirely intentional)–instant photographs, blurry, low res, bad contrast–for the most part of the places everyone visits, things everyone does (this is March-of-the-Living-Poland, I worry). I am tellingly displeased with the narrative of these photographs, astonished at how quickly i fell into this visual trope, without using up a fraction of the film i brought with me. And at the same time, each token photograph is filled with a set of memories that betray the flatness of the image; sweating and dancing during Yiddish Princess at the Jewish Culture Festival, Shabbat services in at a pre-war synagogue in Warsaw, wildflowers and frogs at Auschwitz. And I do have photographs of these things (except Shabbat services) that I haven’t yet parsed through, .jpeg files on my digital camera, which seemed easier to pull out and snap photos of endless variations of szarlotka, awful museum exhibits and cherry-pit spitting contests. As my blog-viewers probably realize, I’m decreasingly fond of writing anything at all, but I feel like I need to warn viewers that this is not Poland for real (complicated as it is), maybe because of the Jewish man on the flight home from Munich who said he would prefer never to visit Poland, and my own prejudices at the beginning of my trip. These are just some photos that I took.
- RT @gpjulian: "Complete Sex Transformation in Adult Animals" (1925); or, on the genealogy of animal becomings in trans-technics http://t.co… 6 hours ago
- RT @nathanjurgenson: cool headline idea: take a famous saying involving the word "self" and replace it with "selfie". #genius 6 hours ago
- selfie paper was accepted to a conference, thus selfie paper will be written. #ascendancytotheselfie #givingmedismantledfutureface 18 hours ago
- You can make fun of me for ordering deodorant on the internet, but the fact remains that now I have deodorant. #shutin #hermit 1 day ago
- RT @EricaLWilliams7: Check out my collaboration with @RobinDGKelley, Madiba in Palestine. #2013ASA @USACBI #palestine http://t.co/ziigmsbJ… 1 day ago
academia accessible education amber forrester anti-Zionist anxiety art bearded lady beards call for submissions Chicago zine fest collage college color comic comics comix cross stitch CTY Curmudgeon dc zinefest design diamondback distro DIY doodles doykeit drawing editorial cartoon editorial cartoons etsy events facial hair fail fashion feminism femme a barbe fliers fml friends grad school guy friday hilarious homo fashion blog history illustration Jami Sailor jewish love mail moleskine pen and ink pen pals photoshop portrait procrastination queer qzap rats red emma's sassyfrass circus shareable sketchbook teaching The Diamondback the new inquiry UMD unicorns university of maryland Washington D.C. watercolor webcomic weekly comics trade work zine zinefest zines
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.